Figuring out just the right kind of “yum” for kids can be a daunting task. What may seem as a gourmet and classy touch for adults may come-off as downright treason to a child – “Cherry Ice Cream Float? As in, fruit on my ice cream?! Don’t yuck my yum!”…I already hear my littlest one’s reaction to a fruit topping on his ice cream. I hear ya, Liam.
With this in mind, I carefully crafted a “Fruit-n-Float night”. Today, I’m focusing on a Cherry Float, but you’ll find it’s a cinch to sub-in any type of fruit that will knock-out any potential ‘yucky’ reactions. The cherry on top of the recipe (literally) is a coulis, which is a fancy word for a fruit-based sauce paired with lemon juice, sugar, and water.
It’s marvelously simple, and yet looks so darn impressive once you’ve paired it with your favorite ice cream, a dash of whipped cream, some Pellegrino, and an added coulis topping. Although soda water may *sound* less appealing than your go-to root beer staple, it’s actually a saving grace here. Ice cream, fruit coulis, whipped cream and root beer? The sugar may give you and/or your children the shakes…take my word for it on this one, and enjoy!
CHERRY ICE CREAM FLOAT INGREDIENTS:
- Cherry Coulis – see recipe here
- Ice Cream
- Pellegrino Sparkling Water
- Whipping Cream + Topping Cherry + Straw
ASSEMBLY BY LAYER:
- Cherry coulis
- Ice cream scoops to about ¾ full
- Brush inside 1” brim of glass
- Pour in sparkling water in center of glass and being careful not to touch fruit brim to ¾ full
- Add a dollop of whipping cream atop
- Carefully pour over fruit coulis
- Add cherry & straw to finish
This is clearly no ordinary float. Would you like a bit of inspiration to get you started? Fear not! Find a few thought-starters below (and remember, let your imagination run wild here):
- Consider incorporating fun ice cream flavors like “Jeni’s goat cheese”, or “Cherry Vanilla”. This decision will help in deciding which toppings to choose to top the final product.
- Toss with nuts or cereal or something with a crunch. Kids will love the choices here, so let them choose here. As for the adults – this is your time and excuse to indulge like none other.
- A last option for adults – like all good things in life, you’re definitely able to add in alcohol for the seltzer like a wine spritzer or a Cabernet Franc.