Lickety split! Try making this ice cream cake tower and watch it disappear in seconds. My hubby loves bananas so I decided to create a masterpiece for him to mark his 47th birthday. Strawberry, pineapple, and chocolate layers are sandwiched between a ring of vanilla sandwich goodness to create this lovely Banana Split Ice Cream Cake. The best part of this recipe – no baking is necessary! Just split, slice, scoop, and top with a cherry!
HOW DO YOU START? BUY IT!
- SANDWICH BARS: Pick your favorite brand of ice cream sandwich bars and split them four ways. You will need approximately 7 bars.
- ICE CREAM: I used McConnell’s Ice Cream because I love their flavor profiles. If you want to use more traditional flavors, opt for chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.
- SAUCES: You’ll want a chocolate sauce, pineapple sauce, and strawberry sauce. You can usually find these sauces by the ice cream cones or topping section. (OK, I cheated and made fresh strawberry sauce – see my recipe below.)
- COOKIES: I would say splurge on some showstopper cookies. I love Tates and find they hold up really well in cakes and ice creams when they’re crushed. Buy vanilla and chocolate cookies that can easily be crumbled by hand.
- CAKE COLLAR (ACETATE) + SPRINGFORM PAN 9″: The pan (with a removable bottom) will make your life really easy as you build the tower, layer by layer. The acetate will allow you to build without anything toppling over. You don’t want a leaning power of pisa!
- TOPPINGS: Whipped cream, sliced bananas, cherries, and rainbow jimmies or sprinkles.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO PREP?
- FILLING: Combine store bought cookies (crumbled) + fresh fruit + sauce.
- WHIP: Fresh whipping cream (cold heavy whipping cream + dash of sugar).
- TOPPING: Chocolate ganache can be done by warming cream in microwave or stovetop and then combine with chopped chocolate.
- GANACHE: Final chocolate layer prepared easily on a stovetop or in the microwave.
- OPTIONAL SAUCES: If you want, you can make easy stovetop sauces. I could not find a strawberry sauce that I liked, so I made my own in only 10 minutes.
LET’S CREATE THE ICE CREAM CAKE TOWER!
- PREP THE PAN: Line the pan with your cake collar.
- OUTER EDGE: In a circular fashion, place your ice cream sandwich wedges. Freeze.
- LAYERS: Cookie Crumbles-n-Fruit + Ice Cream + Bananas. Freeze.
- WHIPPING CREAM: Layer whipping cream. Freeze.
- GANACHE: Pour over frozen cake and top with sprinkles, bananas, whipped cream (from a can), and cherries.
Voila! Almost done. Now comes cutting this cake. Muscle women – UNITE! You will need a hot glass of water, wet cloth, a sharp knife, and some grit! Dip your knife in the water, put some muscle in to it, and slice away baby.